Let's get to know each other - answer 3 SIMPLE questions about your favourite Asian country!

• Community Admin

Helllooooo fellow travellers! Enjoying the good vibes here! ๐Ÿ˜Š

I'd love to get to know everyone! 3 simple questions to get this started:

1. Which is your favourite country in Asia?
    2. Why is this country your favourite?
    3. What did the country (or people in that country) teach you?

I will start the ball rolling - my favourite country has to be TAIWAN.

It's a known fact Taiwanese are one of the friendliest people in the world. I was there for 6 months (back in 2013) on an exchange programme and joined the school's trekking club as a pastime. That's when I learnt that Taiwanese are also very protective of their mountains and homeland. I remember wanting to toss away fruit peels during an overnight trek and was immediately stopped by my teammates. Apparently fruit peels, especially those of imported fruits, are not native to the country and should be disposed of properly after trekking. That's just one example - I was also very impressed to learn that there are volunteers regularly picking up trash from the mountains as well.

I also had the chance to learn from my housemate's dad how they compost their food - so I'm quite sure this behaviour isn't just limited to nature lovers.

That's all from me - hoping to hear from everyone!

• @Sharon-Lok Japan has a special place in my heart ๐Ÿ’“ Apart from their fabulous food, rich culture and warm-hearted people, what I really love about Japan is their attitude towards recycling! When I travel around Japan, I often find myself holding onto bits of thrash as I canโ€™t find a place to dispose them. I always wondered โ€œwhy are there no dustbins!!?โ€ Later on, I learned from a Japanese friend that itโ€™s because they are encouraged to bring their thrash home to sort and recycle - something I find really inspiring! This year, I attended one of their summer festivals and I was pleasantly surprised to find a recycling booth right in the middle of the festival space. That was the first time I witnessed recycling efforts at such scale and it left such an impact on me. I left the country feeling inspired that I can do more, went back home and started a mini recycling corner to sort my own thrash. On a side note, itโ€™s always a joy to bask in nature and Japan has plenty of it. ๐ŸŒณ๐ŸŒณ

• Tech Admin

Taiwan is really special to me too! ๐Ÿ˜

I spent 10 days in Taiwan looking for hiking trails from the South to the North. I was amazed by the hospitality of the locals at nearly every hiking destination. A fond memory was an elderly couple insisting that I hydrate with some homemade brew after I made it to a top of a long trail in the Alishan National Scenic Area. Wow. The trails were remarkably clean as well.

When I stayed at a "minsu", I dined on organic veggies grown fully at their backyard. Likewise, they shared how all food waste went into the compost and how they abstain from using any chemicals for their plants and even their cleaning.

Some time after the trip, my wife and I started a little garden at home and it really pleases me to be able to pluck fresh mint/curry leaves, chilli padis and such, when we need some! I am looking to see how I can compost my food back home as well!