I'd like to talk about my struggles with mental health, but I'm worried I might be a burden to the people around me. What should I do?

• [Conversation starter] I'd like to talk about my struggles with mental health, but I'm worried I might be a burden to the people around me. What should I do?

• Hi there! There is a popular which says " The truth will set you free " it can be very difficult for you to discuss your mental condition with your family. Your reason be might be fear of shame or rejection, but in a journey of healing you will need a support group. If you are not comfortable discussing it with family. Telling a close or trusted friend can be considered at least for the meantime and when you are most ready please let them know. Family is still family. Pray for strength and enlightenment.

• @praiseehyehiesous thank you for wanting to connect. takes such courage and generosity <3 yes, let's chat more 🙂 will drop you an email!

• Community Admin

@praiseehyehiesous Thank you so much for being so generous with your time and attention! For offering to listen. You remind me that we all can be there for one another. <3

• @Mai-Tatoy Most non psychiatric human beings look down on psychiatric patients and are abandoned by everyone , even their own families , that's why I think there should be at least a facebook page for Singapore psychiatric patients to befriend each other and move out of isolation

• @thetapestryproject-sg I am also a psychiatric patient in Singapore , I have been isolated by non psychiatric human beings , I would love to get to know you and you can share your story with me My email is ocean33388@yahoo.com

• Community Admin

What worked for me was sharing my struggles with a mental health professional. The burden I didn't want to give the people around me was that of having the 'answers' if they themselves don't know since they're not experts on mental health. I can only speak for myself when I say, I chose to go directly to a mental health professional to get the most objective help accessible to me. Looking back though, if I shared what I was going through with my loved ones, it may have lifted some of the weight of carrying my struggles all on my own. Net-net - having a trusted confidant is always a boost to our health and if you have even just one who loves you and cares about your well-being, someone who can be kind and truthful at the same time, then it makes sense to share your struggles with them.