Have questions on Mental Health? You can ask them in this forum, share personal experiences, or suggest how to help people living with mental health conditions to navigate their way to recovery.

I'd like to talk about my struggles with mental health, but I'm worried I might be a burden to the people around me. What should I do?

• [Conversation starter] I'd like to talk about my struggles with mental health, but I'm worried I might be a burden to the people around me. What should I do?

• Community Admin

What worked for me was sharing my struggles with a mental health professional. The burden I didn't want to give the people around me was that of having the 'answers' if they themselves don't know since they're not experts on mental health. I can only speak for myself when I say, I chose to go directly to a mental health professional to get the most objective help accessible to me. Looking back though, if I shared what I was going through with my loved ones, it may have lifted some of the weight of carrying my struggles all on my own. Net-net - having a trusted confidant is always a boost to our health and if you have even just one who loves you and cares about your well-being, someone who can be kind and truthful at the same time, then it makes sense to share your struggles with them.