Have questions on Mental Health? You can ask them in this forum, share personal experiences, or suggest how to help people living with mental health conditions to navigate their way to recovery.
What are the qualities of a good psychiatrist or therapist?
thetapestryproject.sg last edited by
[Conversation starter] What are the qualities of a good psychiatrist or therapist?
For both psychiatrist and therapist:
For a psychiatrist:
- Ability to present the condition and treatment plan clearly to the patient
- Familiarity with the latest research in the treatment of the medical condition
- Familiarity with the drugs prescribed, including side-effect profiles (most do not spend enough time talking about potential side-effects)
- Ability to have a mature discussion with an informed client on his/her condition (there's a lot of good information available on the internet so patients may actually know a thing or two)
For a therapist:
- Flexibility in approach (what works for one client may not work for another)
- Ability to distill the essence of what a client is sharing
- Ability to offer a range of activities (I've found a session is only as useful as the homework provided)