Have questions on Mental Health? You can ask them in this forum, share personal experiences, or suggest how to help people living with mental health conditions to navigate their way to recovery.

Employment

• A friend's colleague is depressed and having sleepless nights and anxiety over work-related issues. Should my friend inform his boss about it?

• Community Admin

@sharonsabli Maybe he/she can also check if their employer's HR provides access to a psychologist or a psychiatrist? The company I used to work for had that. Each employee were given six confidential sessions with a psychologist. The company paid for it, but were not privy to what we discussed in the sessions. I can tell you, I so appreciated this. It also removed the burden of having to pay for the sessions.

• It does sound like work is affecting your friend. Workplace stress and burnout is so real in Singapore. If only we could talk about such things openly in a work setting! Unfortunately, it is still tricky to disclose mental health issues in most workplaces because of stigma, so the choice for self-disclosure really depends on the relationship between your friend and their boss; whether their boss is open to understanding more about mental health issues, how it affects a person and if certain work arrangements can be made. Besides talking to their boss, maybe your friend can consider talking to HR, or seek support from external professionals like therapists and counsellors who are more equipped to help. At the end of the day, work is never worth our peace of mind.

• Community Admin

@princesskaryllebagadomondon Stigma refers to "the shame and expectation of discrimination that prevents people from talking about their experiences and stops them seeking help." Stigma stops people with mental illness from seeking help and getting better. Here are signs and symptoms for potential mental illness you can refer to. If you suspect you have a mental health condition, help is available here. Please don't hesitate to get help, ok?

• What is stigma? How can i know what is the signs of it? If i have a mental illness can you help me.*