Have questions on Mental Health? You can ask them in this forum, share personal experiences, or suggest how to help people living with mental health conditions to navigate their way to recovery.

Self-care

• Many people say that practicing self-care is good for your mental health... but what exactly is self-care? What are some ways I can practice self-care? What are your go-to self-care routines?

• Community Admin

@thetapestryproject-sg I love how diverse the meaning of self-care is! You made me see how self-care is also self-defined. What replenishes one person may actually exhaust another! Interesting how we are all so different. My version of self-care is time in nature, taking a long walk. Most days I prefer being alone - that's my self-care. Every once in a while, I meet up with a friend whose company fills me - rather than empties me. That is self-care too. 🙂

• Self-care is, very simply, healthy habits or activities that give you and your brain space and time to relax.

We all need a break once in a while, and the key to knowing what self-care practices suit you or when you need self-care is to be mindful and check in with yourself.

Self-care habits vary from person to person. Some people on our team are proud mothers to cats and potted plants and their form of self-care is a lazy afternoon stroking said cat, or heading out to adopt more plants! Others like taking a day off work or social interactions to play video games, or to lie around in bed listening to music. Basically doing whatever helps you to re-charge.

• Community Admin

@lynnchan Thanks for your question, Lynn! When people use the word "self-care" it's usually in the context of a caregiver - someone who is caring for another. This makes sense because you can't give what you don't have, so if you're running on empty, no one benefits from that - including yourself. Here's a list of tips and helplines that can get you started: https://www.ourbetterworld.org/story/caring-others-dont-forget-about-yourself